Town Guide

Absentee Voting

If you’re a registered voter and must be out of town during an election, you may arrange to cast an absentee vote by visiting the Kent County Department of Elections online or by calling 739-4498.

Ambulance Service

Dial 911 for medical emergencies.

Animal Control and Shelter

Animal Adoption: Kent County S.P.C.A. 302-698-3006 

Animal Complaints: Report any problems relating to domestic animals or pets to Kent County S.P.C.A.

Animal Licenses: Dogs must be licensed each year. Owners may present proof of rabies vaccination at the S.P.C.A. and obtain a dog license for $5.

Leash Law: The Town of Kenton requires that dogs be leashed when not on the owner’s premises. The Town strictly enforces dogs-at-large violations.

Pooper-Scooper Law: Kenton prohibits any person from failing to remove droppings of their dogs on any public grounds, city parks, or any private property without the consent of the owner, save for property designated for such purpose.

Building Permits and Inspections

Building permits and inspections are available from the Planning and Building Department. Call 744-2450.

Cable Television Service

Comcast Communications: Denney’s Road – 674-3440

Code Enforcement

To report a violation, call Kent County Code Enforcement at 744-2450.

Crime Prevention

Kenton has organized a neighborhood watch programs. Call 302-*** for details.

Curfew Law

Youths under the age of 18 may not be on the streets between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, and from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. Friday through Saturday, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Driver’s Licenses

Driver’s Licenses are issued in Dover at the following location:


It is unlawful to dump refuse of any kind in any street, alley or property in Kenton. If you observe anyone illegally dumping, contact *


For information about municipal elections or voter registration, contact the Department of Elections at 739-4498.

Electric Service

Conectiv provides electric service to Kenton homes and businesses. Call Customer Service at 800-375-7117. To report electric outages and emergencies, call 800-898-8045.

Emissions Testing

Vehicle emissions testing is part of the State of Delaware’s strategy to improve air quality. If your vehicle is due for a test, it will be indicated on your registration renewal postcard. You may obtain information about testing facilities, costs, and exemptions from the Motor Vehicle Administration at 744-2510.

Garbage and Trash Collection

Garbage and trash collection service is provided by the following private trash haulers:

BFI: 800-492-5999

Independent Disposal Services: 877-642-5400

History of Kenton

Visit this page for a brief history of Kenton, Delaware.

Home Improvements

Building permits are required before you begin home improvement projects such as room additions, basement finishing, remodeling, and building fences, decks or garages. Contact the Planning and Building Department at 744-2451 for assistance in the building permit process.

Hospital/Medical Services

Bayview Medical Center: 674-4700
640 S. State Street

Walk-in Medical Care: 678-1303
1275 S. State Street

Household Hazardous Materials Disposal

Junk Storage

It is unlawful in Kenton to keep a property in such condition as to be offensive to the neighborhood, including garbage, trash, or junk accumulation. To report a violation, call ***


Kenton’s Mayor may be contacted by writing to [email protected] or by calling 659-0944.


The Kenton Update is a monthly newsletter from the Kenton Town Council featuring current issues, events, programs and meeting dates. The newsletter is mailed to everyone on our email list. 


News Journal: 800-235-9100
Circulation (Dover): 734-9100

Delaware State News: 674-3600

Smyrna-Clayton Sun Times: 653-2083

Dover Post: 678-3616

Noise Complaints

The Kenton Town Code prohibits excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noises such as barking dogs, radios or TVs, and social gatherings which annoy or disturb neighbors. To report a violation, contact the State Police by calling 911.

Ordinances, Town

The Town of Kenton Code of Ordinances contains the Town Charter and regulations pertaining to local governance, business operation, law enforcement, citizen responsibilities and the building code. For information about a specific section of the code, visit this page.

Police Department

Kenton does not have its own police force. Call 911 for emergencies or Delaware State Police at 697-4454 for non-emergencies.

Post Office

The Kenton Post Office is located on Frazier Street. All major private express mail carriers provide services in Kenton.

Property Assessments and Taxes

Information regarding property assessments and taxes can be obtained by calling 744-2401.

Recycling Information

Collection bins are located at Main Street, Smyrna and ***


Residents of Kenton are served by the Smyrna School District. For specific information, please call the school directly.

Smyrna Elementary: 653-8638

Smyrna Middle School: 653-8901

Smyrna High School: 653-8581

Snow and Ice Removal

DelDot works hard to keep town streets safe for traffic during snowstorms. The snow removal plan identifies streets that are plowed during storms. Snow removal priorities include arterials (major roads) and trouble spots, collector streets, and school areas. Residents are responsible for shoveling their sidewalks.


Telephone service is provide by Verizon.

Residential Customers: 800-942-5000

Business Customers: 800-427-9911

Town Council

The Kenton Town Council is composed of 5 members who are elected on a non-partisan basis from the town. Provision is made for overlapping terms, with a majority of the members to be elected every two years. Council selects its leader, the Mayor, who presides at public meetings and represents the Town in interactions with other agencies.


Voter Registration

For information about voter registration, contact the Department of Elections online or call 739-4498.

Water/Wastewater Service Lines

In Kenton, property owners are responsible for….


For information about land use, building height requirements, home occupations, property setbacks, and signs, please call 744-2300.